Dear Siblings in Christ,
Grace and peace to you! I hope that you are joining Peace Lutheran on-line every Sunday morning at 9:30 a.m. for our worship services. I am so grateful to the team that comes together each Saturday to put together our service for Sunday. From those operating the “cameras,” to our vocalist and musicians, to our video operator and on, this small team gives willingly of their time to make sure that we are able to continue to worship together while we are apart!
Here’s the thing – exactly how does one worship while watching the service on a computer or tablet or smart phone? I recently came across an article that offered some suggestions for how to make the “digital service” more participatory and perhaps more meaningful. The following are some ideas I thought were helpful from the article:
1. Prepare ahead of time. Make sure your computer, tablet, phone is connected to the internet and is working properly. Check sound level etc.
2. Prepare space. Perhaps place a candle on the table along with a bible or crucifix. Maybe include some fresh flowers from your garden.
3. Make sure that everyone in the household can see the screen and are in a comfortable position. (Not too comfortable…wouldn’t want to fall asleep during the sermon!)
4. If possible, download the worship bulletin ahead of time. (The Friday News You Can Use from church includes a PDF of the bulletin for each Sunday).
5. While watching the service – PARTICIPATE! It might feel awkward at first but follow along and respond in the same way you would if you were in church. Read the psalm responsively, respond where appropriate!
6. After the service, if you have watched it with family members, discuss the service. (Not what went wrong or how it could have been improved. Trust me, we are doing our best.) Rather, share what inspired you or made you wonder!
7. Remember to continue to support the mission and ministry of Peace through your regular offering of gifts and tithes.
In addition to the above suggestions, I encourage you to share the link to our Sunday worship services with friends and others via your Facebook page. This is a great way to share the good news!
I hope these ideas will make your on-line worship experience more meaningful.
In the Peace of the Risen Christ,